Study in Australia

Study in Australia

Australia is a leading global education centre having some of the world's finest facilities and educators, providing international students with varieties of study choices.

Although the standard of living in Australia is amid the highest in the world, the living expenses and tuition fees considerably lower compared to other English speaking countries such as USA and UK. There are various scholarships available for the students to facilitate their study, whereas, international students are also allowed to work part-time to support their living expenses during their studies (according to the legal standards of Australia).

Australia is the 3rd most popular international student destination in the world and 8 out of 100 top universities in the world are Australian. There are thousands of

Australian universities feature in the top 50 ranked universities in the world in the following study areas:

  1. Arts and Humanities
  2. Clinical, Pre-Clinical and Health
  3. Engineering and Technology
  4. Life Sciences
  5. Physical Sciences
  6. Social Sciences

More than 2.5 million international alumni of Australian institutions are making a difference around the world.  More than $ 200,000,000 annually is invested by the Australian Government for international scholarships.

The institutions are just as highly rated as the cities that house them around the country. Australia has five of the 30 best cities in the world for students based on student mix, affordability, quality of life, and employer activity – all important elements for students when choosing the best study destination.

To study in Australia, there are a range of entry requirements you have to meet.

English language requirements

In some cases, you may need to provide results of an English language test. Be aware that the English language skill level required by an institution can be different from the level of skill required for your student visa application. You should carefully check student visa information on both the Department of Home Affairs website and the institution website for any English language requirements.

Academic requirements

The academic requirements (including evidence of English language skills) you need to study in Australia will vary depending on the level of education you want to study. Institutions can have different entry requirements, so read the course information on their website carefully and contact them to ask for advice.

Here is some general guidance on entry requirements for the different levels of study:

  • English language - Entry requirements vary between institutions, and according to the level of English language course you want to study.
  • Schools - Entry requirements vary between schools depending on the state or territory you will be studying in. Academic performance and ability is considered during the application process.
  • Vocational education and training - In most cases there are no entrance exams for VET institutions. However, some courses may have specific pre-requisite subjects or work experience requirements.
  • Higher Education Undergraduate - To gain entry into an Australian undergraduate course you will need to have an Australian Senior Secondary Certificate of Education (Year 12), or the overseas equivalent. Some undergraduate courses may also have specific pre-requisite subjects.
  • Higher Education Postgraduate - As well as the satisfactory completion of at least one degree at undergraduate level, your institution may take research ability or relevant work experience into consideration.

Tip: To meet the academic requirements of an Australian high school qualification, consider taking a Foundation course. Also called bridging study, they are intensive courses that will help you meet the entry requirements. They are usually one year long and are offered by most higher education institutions.

Visa requirements

The student visa you need depends on your chosen course of study. As a guide, the typical key requirements you will need to meet are:

  • Issued an electronic Confirmation of Enrolment (eCoE) certificate.
  • Meet the Genuine Temporary Entrant requirement.
  • Sufficient funds for airfares, course fees and living costs.
  • English language proficiency.
  • Meet health and character requirements.
  • Acceptable Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC).

The Department of Home Affairs website provides detailed information on student visas.

Overseas Student Health Cover

Australia has a special system of health cover for international students called Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC). It will help you pay for medical or hospital care you may need while you’re studying in Australia; it will also contribute towards the cost of most prescription medicines and an ambulance in an emergency. When studying in Australia, you will need OSHC for yourself, and any family travelling with you, before you arrive. It is a requirement of your student visa that you maintain OSHC for the duration of your time on a student visa in Australia.

Australian universities feature in the top 50 ranked universities in the world in the following study areas:

  1. Arts and Humanities
  2. Clinical, Pre-Clinical and Health
  3. Engineering and Technology
  4. Life Sciences
  5. Physical Sciences
  6. Social Science

Having the third highest students in the world, Australia has seven of the top 100 Universities in the world. Australia sits above the likes of Germany, the Netherlands and Japan, ranking eights in the Universities 2012 U21 Ranking of National Higher Education Systems.

Australia has five of the thirty best cities in the world for students. The living standard of Australia is quite affordable compared to other countries of Europe, UK or USA.

Given this impressive education lineage, it's not surprising there are now more than 2.5 million former international students who have gone on to make a difference after studying in Australia. Some of these students are among the world's finest minds. In fact, Australia has produced 15 Nobel prize laureates and every day over 1 billion people around the world rely on Australian discoveries and innovations.

Now, why wouldn't you study in Australia, with all these amazing results? No reason not to study here. 

Living Standards

Knowing the average living costs in Australia is an important part of your financial preparation. For your reference, here are some of the costs associated with living and studying in Australia (all costs are in Australian dollars).

The costs below are an approximate guide only. Students should be aware that these costs can vary depending on your study location in Australia.


  • Hostels and Guesthouses - $90 to $150 per week
  • Shared Rental - $85 to $215 per week
  • On campus - $90 to $280 per week
  • Homestay - $235 to $325 per week
  • Rental - $165 to $440 per week
  • Boarding schools - $11,000 to $22,000 a year

Other living expenses

  • Groceries and eating out - $80 to $280 per week
  • Gas, electricity - $35 to $140 per week
  • Phone and Internet - $20 to $55 per week
  • Public transport - $15 to $55 per week
  • Car (after purchase) - $150 to $260 per week
  • Entertainment - $80 to $150 per week

Minimum cost of living

The Department of Home Affairs has financial requirements you must meet in order to receive a student visa for Australia. From 1st February 2018 the 12 month living cost is:

  • You - $20,290
  • Partner or spouse - $7,100
  • Child - $3,040

Student Visa Information

All of the following types of study are included on this visa. For more information you need to visit Department of Home Affairs page.

  • Independent ELICOS
  • Schools (Primary and secondary)
  • Vocational education and training (VET)
  • Higher Education
  • Postgraduate research
  • Non-award courses
  • International students sponsored by the Department of Foreign Affairs or Defense.

Documents that are required to be carried by the students to the institute/university at the time of arrival for orientation and enrollment are:

  •  Passport- Check the expiry date as renewing passport may take some time in Australia.
  • Letter of Offer- Carry Letter of Offer as it should be presented at the time of enrolment.
  •  Original or certified copies of academic qualification.
  • Driving License(if possessed)
  • Medical history or prescriptions required for ongoing medication.

Happy Student

  • I received my Masters' degree from UNSW in 2014. During this period I was working in an IT company, as a software developer. Since, I was working and I didn't have any working legalities, I had a problem in visa issuance.

    I was in a complete dilemma and was unknown about the process. Thankfully, during that hard time I met Sushil Nepal (Marketing Director of Smart Education and Visa Services) who advised me to go for 457 visa with his strategic MARA partner. Thus, I am working in the same company without any hassles by this visa. Thank you Sushil sir.

    Shreyas Adhikari
    Shreyas Adhikari


  • I approached Smart Education and Visa in relation to application 485 subsequent entry visa. They completely helped me to prepare the necessary documents to lodge the application. I found Sushil helpful and knowledgeable in what he is doing. I am very pleased with the service provider Smart Education and Visa.

    Ruma Manandhar
    Ruma Manandhar


University & Colleges Associate With

Request a Call Back

We would love to make your dream of abroad study & immigration possible.

If you have any questions, feedback or want to book free consultation/appointment, fill up the form below and one of our representative will get back to you as soon as possible.

You can also directly send your inquiries or questions by directly clicking here.