Study in Canada

Study in Canada

With the welcoming nature and world class education, Canada is becoming one of the top preferred destinations for the students from around the globe. Being in the top ten list of the happiest countries in the world, Canada excels in many humane categories. There are more than a million international students studying in Canada in the courses of their choice. Due to all these openheartedness Canada has become an attractive destination for international students. Canada has already produced world class professors, researchers and scientists, who are teaching and mentoring students to excel them in their particular field.

In Canada, besides having all those educational benefits, if you are eligible, you are ought to get a scholarship. There are thousands of students who are studying in Canada with full to partial scholarships provided by the government or any private organizations. You are also allowed to work in a part time basis which depends upon the legal procedure of Canadian government.

Who may use this application guide?

This application guide is designed for foreign nationals who wish to come to Canada to study.

What is a study permit?

A study permit is a written authorization issued by an officer allowing foreign nationals to study in Canada.

Do I need a study permit?

Generally, foreign nationals must obtain a study permit in order to study in Canada.

However, foreign nationals may be exempted from requiring a study permit in the following situations:

  • Family members or private staff accompanying a foreign representative accredited by Global Affairs Canada; or
  • Members of the armed forces of a country or territory designated for the purposes of the Visiting Forces Act.

How do I apply for a study permit?

Before applying for a study permit at a Canadian visa office, you must first get a letter of acceptance from a Designated Learning Insitution (DLI).

The letter must be issued by the Canadian institution (e.g. school district, University, etc.) on official letterhead, show the exact amount of tuition fees you are required to pay, the anticipated starting and finishing dates and the date by which you need to register.

English language requirements

To gain your Canadian visa, you’ll have to provide with an evidence of proficiency in the English language. This usually means passing a secure English language test to be able to prove your communication and correspondence skills.

The International English Language Testing System (IELTS) is the world’s most popular high-stakes English language proficiency test for study, work and migration, with more than three million tests taken in the past year. The IELTS results are recognised by more than 10,000 organisations, including educational institutions, employers, professional associations and governments, in 140 countries around the world.

You can always come to us for a free counselling session where we can guide you on how to go about the entire visa application process.

Once you have your acceptance letter, you can complete and submit an application for a study permit.

Do I need a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) or an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA)?

Citizens of certain countries or territories may require a TRV in order to travel to Canada, while others may require an eTA.

A TRV is an official document issued by an officer that is placed in your passport to show that you have met the requirements for admission to Canada as a temporary resident. An eTA is a paperless document that is electronically linked to your passport; it too, demonstrates that you have met the requirements for admission to Canada as a temporary resident.

May I work off campus without a work permit?

You are allowed to work off campus without a work permit for up to 20 hours a week during a regular academic session and full-time during regularly scheduled breaks, provided that:

  • you hold a valid study permit;
  • you are a full-time student enrolled at a designated learning institution;
  • the program in which you are enrolled is a post-secondary academic, vocational or professional training program, or a vocational training program at the secondary level offered in Quebec;
  • the program of study is at least six months or more in duration and one that leads to a degree, diploma or certificate; and
  • you continue to fulfill the terms and conditions of your study permit, as well as the conditions to engage in off campus work (e.g., work no more than 20 hours a week during a regular academic session).

Translation of documents

You must submit the following for any document that is not in English or French, unless otherwise stated on your document checklist:

  • the English or French translation; and
  • an affidavit from the person who completed the translation (see below for details); and
  • a certified copy of the original document.

Translators who are certified in Canada don’t need to supply an affidavit. A certified translator will provide both a certified translation and certified copies of the original documents.

An affidavit is a document on which the translator has sworn, in the presence of a person authorized to administer oaths in the country where the translator is living, that the contents of their translation are a true translation and representation of the contents of the original document.

The affidavit must be sworn in the presence of:

In Canada:

  • a notary public
  • a commissioner of oaths
  • a commissioner of taking affidavits

Authority to certify varies by province and territory. Consult your local provincial or territorial authorities.

Outside of Canada:

  • a notary public

Canada boasts of some of the best universities in the world. With a comparatively lower cost of education, favorable work prospects for international students and a peaceful ambience, it has become a coveted education destination.

There are several benefits to studying in Canada ranging from developing diverse skill sets, to becoming independent.

  • Diversity; on campus, you will be engaging with students from across the globe. The multi-cultural environment will teach you how to think outside the box and expose you to different ideas and points of view.
  • ROI; Canada offers a more affordable education compared to other popular destinations even though it hosts some premier institutions with excellent facilities and faculty.
  • Job opportunities; Canadian Universities allow international students a means to support themselves. Through the study permit, you can work part time on or off campus during the academic year, and full time during academic breaks. And when you graduate, you can apply for a work permit that allows you to stay and work in the country for some years.

Happy Student

  • I received my Masters' degree from UNSW in 2014. During this period I was working in an IT company, as a software developer. Since, I was working and I didn't have any working legalities, I had a problem in visa issuance.

    I was in a complete dilemma and was unknown about the process. Thankfully, during that hard time I met Sushil Nepal (Marketing Director of Smart Education and Visa Services) who advised me to go for 457 visa with his strategic MARA partner. Thus, I am working in the same company without any hassles by this visa. Thank you Sushil sir.

    Shreyas Adhikari
    Shreyas Adhikari


  • I approached Smart Education and Visa in relation to application 485 subsequent entry visa. They completely helped me to prepare the necessary documents to lodge the application. I found Sushil helpful and knowledgeable in what he is doing. I am very pleased with the service provider Smart Education and Visa.

    Ruma Manandhar
    Ruma Manandhar


University & Colleges Associate With

Request a Call Back

We would love to make your dream of abroad study & immigration possible.

If you have any questions, feedback or want to book free consultation/appointment, fill up the form below and one of our representative will get back to you as soon as possible.

You can also directly send your inquiries or questions by directly clicking here.